JHipster release 0.8.0
JHipster gives you Yeoman + Maven + Spring + AngularJS all working together in one handy generator.
This is our biggest release ever.
We have migrated everything to use Spring Boot instead of “normal” Spring. This has caused a big number of changes:
- To run the application you can either run the “Application” class from your IDE, or execute “mvn spring-boot:run”. This runs Tomcat behind-the-scenes.
- The configuration Java package has been renamed from “conf” to “config”
- The configuration property files are now in Yaml format
- The liquibase configuration is now in the src/main/resources/config/liquibase directory
And of course we updated all libraries to their latest versions!
As Spring Boot is really new, we expect you have a few questions about this upgrade:
- Running the application from an IDE without Maven. It’s faster (no need to launch Maven) and it’s easier to run with a debugger
- Less lines of configuration. It’s complicated to compare as we also improved a lot of things, but we probably gained 200-300 lines of code
- The Yaml configuration is much more easy to read and use
- Spring Boot Actuator gives us a lot of new features, we plan to use more of them in the next releases
- We lose 2 seconds at start-up with Tomcat (no problem with Jetty): this looks like an issue with Tomcat, when no web.xml file exists
How to upgrade
Update your version of JHipster with:
npm update -g generator-jhipster
And then you can update your project when you run again
Help and bugs
If you find any issue with this release, don’t hesitate to: